страшный; ужасный; сильный; отвратительный
- If none of these works, you can always try throttling your interlocutor, crying as you do so: "Did you know that 63 per cent of all smart-ass know-alls meet a violent and hideous end?"
- There are nasty stories of greed overcoming sense, and of hideous lip lacerations as a result of biting directly into the fruit.
- So often very young babies are perfectly hideous, aren't they?
- Alice Brine is a social worker who, we finally discover, was the negligent official in a hideous case of child abuse.
- When his characters make love - or perform Mr. Lawrence's equivalent for love-making - and they do nothing else - they not only lose all the amenities, refinements and graces which many centuries have built up in order to make love-making tolerable; they seem to reascend the metamorphoses of evolution, passing backward beyond ape and fish to some hideous coitus of protoplasm.
- The view looked across a concrete courtyard from the thirteenth floor of a planning disaster, a delicious confection of grey concrete and dirty glass, to another, equally hideous architectural gem.
- I had walked straight into a hideous trap.
- The original conception of "the return of Mrs. Porter" would be pointless, or at least only a prolongation of horror, since life itself and the regeneration of it are seen, at bottom, as hideous.
- Little does he realise what villainy and treachery lurk in the little town of Sinkport, or what a hideous fate may await him there.
- When she finally slept, she had a hideous nightmare.
- The latest addition to the list, buckminsterfullerene, has 60 carbon atoms and would be hideous to name systematically.
- Geoffrey Moorhouse uses Bury as his pivot: he explores it fact by fact, family by family; this little town in the moors bore a hideous amount of the slaughter in the Dardanelles, no matter what your Australian neighbour may tell you as he leans on the bar and his legend.
- Jane had never seen him so depressed, his anger frequently spilling over into words to her, as the dwellings went up with hideous and indecent haste, flaunting a flag: "Waterloo Homes" right next to his drive.