- Alternatively, small mammal carcases may be scavenged, and at any stage after death the bones may be modified by the trampling action of larger animals.
- Small mammal bone exposed in wet temperate climate, large mammal bone in tropical climate
- Woodland faunas, for instance, are distinct from grassland faunas, and tropical faunas distinct from temperate faunas, and when these and more precise distinctions are made it is possible to correlate and even define ecological zones by their small mammal faunas.
- The second stage of taphonomic modification takes account of what happens to the small mammal carcases shortly after death.
- The other two mammal species which bred for the first time were a pair of Geoffroy's marmoset which had one youngster, and the cheetah female, Angie, who produced four cubs.
- Travelling with a huge mammal has its own special problems.
- The Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society said it was "beyond belief and humanity" to subject a wide-ranging sea mammal to life in a mobile swimming pool.
- Even more than this, from the palaeontological point of view it is the major cause of small mammal bone accumulations, particularly in caves.
- If protected in some way, either by vegetation or by falling into holes in the ground, small mammal bones quickly become buried and protected in this way from weathering.
- Stages in the formation and modification of small mammal bone assemblages.
- These can tell us a great deal about past environments and climate during the time of their accumulation, but there are many ways by which small mammal accumulations occur in the natural world.
- Vultures rarely kill their own food, but are known for tidying up after the kills of bigger mammal predators such as of lions.
- Once again the agency appears to be interpreting the Marine Mammal Protection Act to be the Commercial Tuna Fleet Protection Act."